Agenda and minutes

Contact: Lynn Young  Email:

No. Item



Members will be asked to make any declarations of interest in respect of items on this agenda.


There were no declarations of interest in accordance with the code of conduct.


MINUTES pdf icon PDF 75 KB

To sign and confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 24 October 2013.



Agreed that the minutes of the meeting of the South West Devon Waste Partnership Joint Committee held on 24 October 2013 are confirmed as a correct record.



To receive reports on business which, in the opinion of the Chair, should be brought forward for urgent consideration.


There were no items of Chair’s urgent business.



Members will receive a verbal project update from Mark Turner, Project Director.


The Partnership received a verbal project update report from Mark Turner, Project Director.  Members were informed that since the last committee –



work on the site was progressing well;



Hot Commissioning was due to commence in late 2014;



IT systems and interfaces were being developed;



Barry Ashbee had been recruited as the Contract Manager and would take over the role of Authority Representative from Martin Pollard;



Martin Pollard, Project Manager, was leaving the Council within the next three months to take up alternative employment.


The Chair thanked Mark Turner for his report.


Councillor Michael Leaves proposed a vote of thanks for Martin Pollard.  This was seconded by Councillor Croad.





Members will receive a presentation summarising MVV’s construction progress and site activities from Martin Pollard, Project Manager.


Martin Pollard, Project Manager, gave a presentation providing an update on MVV’s construction programme and site activities since October.  Members were informed that since the last committee –



construction activities continued on-site – the turbine had been installed and the boiler pressure test was successfully completed;



MVV was holding to the reported six week delay;



the start of Hot Commissioning was due in November 2014, with operational service due to commence in January 2015;



in the period November 2013 – March 2014 there had been five planning condition contraventions involving exceeding site working hours.  All were minor breeches and had been self-reported by MVV;



a sub-station planning application for Goschen Yard had been approved;



the following works had been completed or were ongoing –


·         boiler interconnections;

·         cladding and roofing works;

·         steelwork remediation;

·         mechanical and electrical services;

·         reception hall slab had been completed

·         steel frame was being erected;



MVV’s future activities included –


·         steam cycle works to connect to turbine;

·         air cooled condenser installation;

·         cladding and roofing;

·         fit out of offices and control room.


The Chair thanked Martin Pollard for his report.




Members will receive an update from Liz Waugh on communication activity from October 2013 – April 2014.


Liz Waugh, the Partnership’s Communication Consultant provided a verbal update on recent and upcoming communication activity.  Members were informed that –



communication activity had been moderate and low key, with little interest from the media due to –


·         the recent bad weather;

·         Christmas;

·         the media focus on the waste plant in Exeter;



the media had been kept up-to-date with recent developments;



some general enquiries had been received from Members of Parliament;



MVV had recently been awarded a Gold Constructors’ Award;


In response to members’ questions it was reported that –



an announcement was still to be made regarding the disposal of bottom ash from the Exeter EfW plant.  Viridor is the Contractor for the Exeter EfW.


The Chair thanked Liz Waugh for her report.




Members will receive a project update from Mark Turner, Project Director.


Mark Turner, Project Director, presented the latest Project Programme and informed members that construction on site was progressing well.  There remained a six week delay.


Members noted the project programme.



Members will receive a presentation on Incinerator Bottom Ash (IBA) by Paul Carey (MVV).


Paul Carey, Managing Director of MVV Environment Devonport Ltd, gave a presentation on Incinerator Bottom Ash (IBA).  Members were informed that –



MVV were still considering their options following the Planning Inspector’s recent decision to uphold Devon County Council’s planning decision to refuse permission for an IBA facility at Buckfastleigh;



a search was now on for an alternative site locally for this facility and several landowners had approached MVV to discuss sites;



further details regarding possible sites were not yet available due to confidentiality for the parties involved;



the UK market leader in the disposal of IBA was Ballast Phoenix, a UK based Dutch company;



MVV were in partnership with Rock Solid BV, a Dutch company, who in turn were in partnership with NRC, a company who specialised in metal separation;



a container of IBA was circulated for members’ inspection.  Members were provided with more information regarding IBA and were informed that –


·         IBA was the part of waste that would not burn in an incinerator;

·         the subsequent processing of IBA was best completed in the open air;

·         IBA was usually left for three to four weeks before processing;

·         IBA was sprayed with water to dampen it and ensure it did not become dusty;

·         IBA was separated into different grades for the construction industry;

·         there were different uses for IBA;

·         a filtering system at the EfW prevented large items from entering the IBA;

·         ferrous and non-ferrous metal was removed from the system and recycled;

·         the IBA process is very simple and does not use complex equipment;


In response to members’ questions it was reported that –



it was planned to deal with IBA locally as soon as a suitable site had been located and the relevant approvals and site development had been completed.  There were currently two sites in mind.  It was hoped that the site would be close to the EfW site and preferably along the A38 corridor;



it was entirely possible that the IBA facility could operate in close proximity to housing;



it was possible that the facility could be located on a site that is currently being used for waste management.


The Chair thanked Paul Carey for his report.



MVV’s Community Liaison Manager, Jane Ford will update Members on communication and liaison activities.


Jane Ford, MVV Community Liaison Manager gave a presentation and provided members with an overview of MVV’s community engagement and communication activities.


Members were informed that –



this was the first update from the MVV Community Liaison Manager since July 2012, and there had been a large amount of activity in that time;



strong links had been established with City College Plymouth, University Technical College, scout groups and local primary schools (in particular Weston Mill Primary, who had recently sent a class of four/five year olds to view the site);



MVV were strongly involved in environmental matters and had introduced a scheme for the maintenance and improvement of Blackie Woods for the benefit of the public, which included the introduction of bird, bat and insect boxes to encourage wildlife into the area;



there were approximately 300 construction workers on site at the moment who were using local goods and services;



33 full time jobs would be created for the operation of the facility and where possible staff would be recruited locally with the creation of a further 70 indirect jobs (eg catering, cleaning, maintenance);



MVV had signed up to the 1000 Club, a campaign in Plymouth where companies had committed to support young people into employment, whether that be through work experience, apprenticeship, graduate internships or employment;



MVV were a member of the City College Plymouth Employer Endorsement Scheme, whereby they supported and contributed to the students’ learning and development;



regular newsletters were distributed by MVV to local households;



additional letters were sent on an ad hoc basis;



monthly drop-in sessions for local residents were held at the Tamar View Community Resource Centre in Barne Barton;



MVV were working with the community (including the Incinerator Liaison Committee, North Yard Community Trust, local residents and local housing associations) to address major issues of concern;



the Incinerator Liaison Committee had increased its membership and was holding regular meetings;



the North Yard Community Trust had approved grants totalling £95k to date.  Recent awards included – new bells for St Budeaux Parish Church, camping equipment for Keyham Scout group and football equipment for Weston Mill Mini Kickers;


there had been a great deal of interest and concern from local residents;



the Community Liaison Manager participated in various activities in local schools including –


·         Environment/Science Weeks;

·         Gifted and Talented literacy initiatives;

·         Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) events;

·         ‘Getting Girls into Engineering’ event;

·         waste challenges;



construction of the Visitor Centre, located in the administration building, was now nearly complete;






there was a requirement for ongoing training for operational staff, which included further education and continued professional development (CPD);


MVV are keen to promote the ‘3Rs’ initiative – ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recyle’ as well as recovery and had been involved in a number of activities to emphasise the 3Rs.


The Chair thanked Jane Ford for her presentation.



The next meeting is scheduled for 23 October 2014 in Torbay.



Agreed that the next meeting will be held on Thursday 23 October 2014 in Torbay.



To consider passing a resolution under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 to exclude the press and public from the meeting for the following item(s) of business on the grounds that it (they) involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act, as amended by the Freedom of Information Act 2000.


To consider passing a resolution under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 to exclude the press and public from the meeting for the following item(s) of business on the grounds that it (they) involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act, as amended by the Freedom of Information Act 2000.




Members will receive a presentation on the financial and legal position of extending any Community Fund payment after the 25 years should there be a contract extension.


Martin Pollard, Project Director, and Chris Randall, Strategic Finance Manager, gave a verbal update on the financial and legal position relating to extending any Community Fund payment and the likely gatefee payments at the end of the 25 year contract and after the 25 years should there be a contract extension.


A motion was moved by the Chair as follows –


‘Any change or extension to the Community Fund will be debated and a decision by the partnership will be made at the relevant time, ie 2037’.


The motion was seconded by Councillor Croad and was carried following a vote.